A little about myself:
Hello! My name is Amanda. I am currently a student finishing up my undergraduate degree. I have been listening to Japanese, Korean, and Chinese music for the last fifteen years, mainly from anime and drama soundtracks, but my appreciation for the music continues to grow. After hearing about openings from the podcast, I realized that I wanted to be a part of the MTI team. Now that I am on the team, I am so excited to learn about upcoming Japanese artists and listen to amazing new music. When I am not working or studying, I love to experiment with new recipes, check Neko Atsume, watch old music videos or Harry Potter, and play Fallout 4.
Favorite J-pop Artists: Mrs. GREEN APPLE, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Perfume, sasanomaly, Alexandros, My Little Lover, GReeeeN, The Blue Hearts
10 random questions about yourself:
1. If you can interview any JTop 10 artist/band, who would you like to interview and what would you ask them?
Mrs. Green Apple. I would want to know which songs always get stuck in their heads.
2. You really need a 12 hour car ride with your annoying friend to get from college to home. He says only if you allow him to play PPAP or Purin Purin on repeat the whole trip. Which song would you choose and why?
Purin Purin! I could never get tired of listening to the happiest song in the world.
3. What’s your favorite Japanese dish?
4. What’s your favorite decade for Japanese music?
I’m a fan of the late 90’s and early 00’s, especially for hip hop.
5. What’s the first concert you ever attended?
6. Most memorable or enjoyable podcast episode you have participated in so far?
The Top 50 episode is a close second, but I’d have to say that the Shibuya kei special takes the cake. It was totally out of my comfort zone, but I ended up listening to Cornelius non-stop for a month.
7. If you got free an all inclusive 7 day trip vacation to any part of Japan, where would you choose and what would you choose to do?
I would explore Aomori and enjoy the northern coast.
8. Best anime series you have ever followed or seen?
As a kid I would’ve fought for Sailor Moon, but Cowboy Bebop is timeless.
9. If you got 1000 USD to spend at Akihabara, what would you buy?
I would probably buy presents for my family.
10. What western artist/band would you love to see collaborate with a Japanese musician?
I’d really like to see Frank Ocean collaborate with someone like Punpee or AKLO.