A little about myself:
Hello~ I’m Echo. I grew up in the countryside in the U.S. and started learning Japanese when I was six, thanks to some exchange students teaching me a few words and blowing my mind. I started listening to Visual Kei and J-Pop soon after and learned every J-Pop or anime dance that came out. I moved to Japan several years ago, and nowadays I work as a translator. Right now I’m learning Korean, and I spent most of this year in Seoul studying it.
1. If you can interview any JTop 10 artist/band, who would you like to interview and what would you ask them?
Kenshi Yonezu, maybe. I just wanna know how he comes up with his melodies and lyrics. It’s like magic to me.
2. You really need a 12 hour car ride with your annoying friend to get from college to home. He says only if you allow him to play PPAP or Purin Purin on repeat the whole trip. Which song would you choose and why?
Purin Purin, because I have no idea what that is and at least I won’t already be sick of it.
3. What’s your favorite Japanese dish?
Maybe Katsudon? Specifically the one from Hotto Motto. That was always my comfort food walking home after work in the middle of the night. (Not the best healthwise, but whatever.)
4. What’s your favorite decade for Japanese music?
The 2010’s! I think it’s gotten less cheesy than it was before.
5. What’s the first concert you ever attended?
Probably a classical concert. That was my favorite as a kid. As for Japanese music, it was a Gackt concert! And it was so good I bought tickets for the next show and watched the exact same concert again.
6. Most memorable or enjoyable podcast episode you have participated in so far?
7. If you got free an all inclusive 7 day trip vacation to any part of Japan, where would you choose and what would you choose to do?
I spent a while in Kyoto this year, and I could easily spend 7 more days there. I’d really like to visit the tea fields and see the leaves being grown! And I’d love to visit a bunch of castles.
8. Best anime series you have ever followed or seen?
Sailor Moon. I was obsessed with Sailor Moon as a kid, but didn’t know it was Japanese. When I found out that I could watch my favorite show in the language I was learning, it became really special to me. I rarely watch anime, but I watched every episode of it.
9. If you got 1000 USD to spend at Akihabara, what would you buy?
The only time I’ve been there, I was with my family, so we just went to the Gundam cafe, and I blew all my money on Tokyo Ghoul manga, Taito Station games, and Gacha’s. I think I’d probably do the same again, except I’d also like to try visiting a maid cafe next time!
10. What western artist/band would you love to see collaborate with a Japanese musician?