A little about myself:
Hi! I’m Recca! I have been studying Japanese for over 10 years now, and I have always enjoyed the deeper understanding of my favorite J-pop artists and songs that comes from learning their language. I started out listening to anime music as a young teen, but over time my interests have grown to include everything from 1970s “city pop” to Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. I came to this podcast after hearing “on air” that the producers were looking for new hosts, and I am so excited to share my love of Japanese and J-pop with the world through being your on-air host. When I am not hosting the show or working, I enjoy dancing, playing old video games, singing karaoke, and watching pro wrestling.
Favorite J-pop Artists: Yellow Magic Orchestra, Seiko Matsuda, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, PSY・S, Haruomi Hosono, Perfume, Especia, Wink, Towa Tei
10 random questions about yourself:
1. If you can interview any JTop 10 artist/band, who would you like to interview and what would you ask them?
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu! I would be so interested to hear about her unique world view and sense of style
2. You really need a 12 hour car ride with your annoying friend to get from college to home. He says only if you allow him to play PPAP or Purin Purin on repeat the whole trip. Which song would you choose and why?
PPAP because Purin Purin gets old within the first 30 seconds, but PPAP only gets old after the first playthrough. Lesser of two evils.
3. What’s your favorite Japanese dish?
TAKOYAKI, always and forever
4. What’s your favorite decade for Japanese music?
The 1980s, hands-down. Golden Age of Idols FTW!
5. What’s the first concert you ever attended?
Weird Al Yankovic, right after he got Lasik and ditched the glasses
6. Most memorable or enjoyable podcast episode you have participated in so far?
It’s a tie – the Pro Wrestling special episode, and my collaboration with DC covering songs about food. Really, all of the collaborations are special to me because I feel like I am good friends with the other host afterwards, despite the fact that we often have never met in person
7. If you got free an all inclusive 7 day trip vacation to any part of Japan, where would you choose and what would you choose to do?
I’ve always wanted to go to Aomori and northern Japan in general, to see the festivals and scenery up in that area. I’ve heard good things in enka songs 😛
8. Best anime series you have ever followed or seen?
Cowboy Bebop as far as TV series go, it really appeals to me as a giant film and music nerd with all of its references, plus it’s just a joy to look at and listen to. I could watch it over and over again. Honorable mention: Rose of Versailles, Zeta Gundam
9. If you got 1000 USD to spend at Akihabara, what would you buy?
I’ve already been on a retro video game shopping spree in Akiba, so I might buy a few more games, but I’d also catch an AKB48 show just for the heck of it and pick up some merchandise at Gundam Café.
10. What western artist/band would you love to see collaborate with a Japanese musician?
Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, or Beck. I’d also like to see a cool vaporwave or future funk artist like YUNG BAE or SAINT PEPSI/Skylar Spence do a legit collaboration with a J-pop singer.