A little about myself:
Hello! My name is a Ethel and I’m a host on Japan Top 10. I stumbled across the podcast after I received an iPhone as a graduation present and jumped at the chance to try my luck at being an on-air host because I’d always loved the idea of maybe hosting a music show one day.
My earliest memory of Japanese music is the song「そばかす」by JUDY AND MARY from my childhood anime series るろうに剣心 / Samurai X. Everything pretty much went crazy after that. I love Japanese music with all my heart and if I could live in Shibuya’s Tower Records store, I probably would. Now that is what heaven should look like.
Favourite Jpop/Jrock musicians: Ellegarden, W-inds, Utada Hikaru, One Ok Rock, Orange Range, Mika Nakashima, Arashi, RADWIMPS, androp, ayaka, YUI, Angela Aki, The Gazette, Miyavi, alicenine, Perfume, Funky Monkey Babys, GReeeeN, Ken Hirai
Guilty pleasure music: Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas and all things Johnny’s Entertainment 😉
10 random questions about yourself:
1. If you can interview any JTop 10 artist/band, who would you like to interview and what would you ask them?
Hikaru Utada. I’d ask for her how many teddy bear’s does she own.
2. You really need a 12 hour car ride with your annoying friend to get from college to home. He says only if you allow him to play PPAP or Purin Purin on repeat the whole trip. Which song would you choose and why?
Purin Purin. Easier to ignore and eventually turn into background noise.
3. What’s your favorite Japanese dish?
4. What’s your favorite decade for Japanese music?
2000s – 2010s
5. What’s the first concert you ever attended?
My Chemical Romance in 2006.
6. Most memorable or enjoyable podcast episode you have participated in so far?
JTOP10 Special: Boy Bands Part 1 with Andy.
7. If you got free an all inclusive 7 day trip vacation to any part of Japan, where would you choose and what would you choose to do?
I would go to Fukouka to visit my friend Mari and her family.
8. Best anime series you have ever followed or seen?
Cowboy Bebop & Cardcaptor Sakura
9. If you got 1000 USD to spend at Akihabara, what would you buy?
I’d keep the money and go to Nakano Broadway instead. Otherwise, go to Nippori to buy fabric or perhaps a yukata with a design I like.
10. What western artist/band would you love to see collaborate with a Japanese musician?